Wednesday, October 10, 2018

DNA Mash-Up: EthioHelix

EthioHelix is a DNA test on Gedmatch that's best for those of African ethnicity. I'm not African so why am I using this one? Let's have some fun.

EthioHelix K10 + French
This tests for 10 populations.
This includes 9 African populations and one "French" population which is actually a place-marker for those of European ethnicity, so it doesn't actually mean you're French. Considering I'm not African I should hit a really high mark on French, right?



My results are:
French 80.85 %
North Africa 16.56%
Khoi-San 1.7%
Omotic 0.41%
Hadza 0.34%
Biaka-Pygmy 0.14%
Nilo-Saharan 0%
Mbuti-Pygmy 0%
Eastern Bantu 0%
West Africa 0%

Amazing how almost 17% of my make-up has more in common with North Africans than Europeans. If you look at the populations of North Africa you can understand why. If you look back at my Ancestry DNA results I have 9% Iberian Peninsula and 5% Middle East, a total of 14% which is what this is playing on.



EthioHelix K10 + Palestinian
This tests for 10 populations.
This tests includes 9 African populations and one "Palestinian" which is a place-holder for Middle Eastern. Since I have a trace of Middle Eastern then I should dominate the Palestinian marker.



My results are:
Palestinian 89.92%
Omotic 5.34%
Khoi-San 1.89%
Hadza 1.08%
Biaka-Pygmy 1.05%
East Africa1 0.71%
Nilo-Saharan 0%
Mbuti-Pygmy 0%
Eastern Bantu 0%
West Africa 0%

I was correct.

EthioHelix K10 + Japanese
This tests for 10 populations.
This test has 9 African populations and one "Japanese" which is a place-holder for Asians. I don't know what the outcome would be since I'm not African nor Asian unless you include the little bit of West Asian I have.



My results are:
North Africa 68.47%
Japanese 22.23%
Omotic 6.95%
Khoi-San 0.8%
West Africa 0.52%
Nilo-Saharan 0.51%
East Africa1 0.45%
Biaka-Pygmy 0.06%
Mbuti-Pygmy 0%
Hadza 0%

Dominating the North African marker didn't surprise me. I'm not sure on what the range is on the "Japanese" marker.

EthioHelix K10 + Africa Only
This tests for 10 African populations.
This test is strictly for African ethnicity. Knowing what I know in the previous ones I should hit the North African marker and possibly East African.


My results are:
North Africa 63.26%
East Africa2 36.24%
Khoi-San 0.39%
Omotic 0.11%
Nilo-Saharan 0%
Mbuti-Pygmy 0%
East Africa1 0%
West Africa 0%
Hadza 0%
Biaka-Pygmy 0%

I wasn't wrong.

Omotic is a subfamily of Afro-Asiatic in Ethiopia.
Khoisan is "non-Bantu" indigenous peoples of Southern Africa. "Bantu" is the group of sub-Saharan African, Swahili, Zulu.
Mbuti Pygmy is indigenous group in Congo.
Hadza is indigenous group in north-central Tanzania.
Biaka Pygmy is nomadic group in southwestern Central African Republic.
Nilo-Saharan is Central/East Africa around Chari and Nile rivers.
North Africa is a collective group of Mediterranean countries like Morocco, Algeria, Libya.
East Africa 1 is the group around Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia.
East Africa 2 is the group around Egypt, Ethiopia, Somalia.
West Africa is the group around Nigeria, Ghana, Mali.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wilner E. Pritchett (1918-2004)

Wilner E. Pritchett was born on 23 July 1918 in Brewton, Escambia, Alabama. She died on 29 September 2004. She is buried in Springhill Metho...