Sunday, December 16, 2018

23andme DNA

My 23andme results are in... and I'm 0.1% Alien.


I'm surprised my Iberian one was really low. Let's add the Iberian, Balkan, and Broadly Southern European, since these are all similar, for a total of 2.4%. I'm adding the Broadly Northwestern European and Scandinavian together for a total of 13.2%. I'm adding the Broadly European into the French & German one. I'm not sure about the Sub-Saharan African one and the Unassigned is something they just couldn't pinpoint.

So that makes:
British & Irish 68.8%
French & German 15%
Scandinavian 13.2%
Iberian 2.4%
Sub-Saharan African 0.5%
Unassigned 0.1%

Let's compare with my other DNA tests I've done.

MyHeritage says I'm way more Scandinavian than Irish with no British (there is a marker for it).
MyHeritage is about on point with Ancestry's results for the Southern European one with 13.3% compared to Ancestry's 14% (total combination).






Perhaps Ancestry's Western European one is the French & German marker in 23andme.
With Ancestry's new update I'm now 70% British & Irish which is on point with 23andme's British & Irish percentile.
Ancestry says I'm 33% Irish which is on point with MyHeritage's 39.9% before the update which reduced the percentage down to 23%.
All three tests show a significant change in my Scandinavian marker but Ancestry and 23andme are more on par. Ancestry's new update redefined it to Norway.
I'm combining Iberian with the low confidence regions for a total of 14% which is on point with MyHeritage's South Europe percentile.

Conclusion, I'm largely European with a strong indication from Ireland and Scandinavian/Germanic countries with a small indication from Southern Europe/Western Asia thrown in. You can see how much accuracy this is if you follow my family tree updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wilner E. Pritchett (1918-2004)

Wilner E. Pritchett was born on 23 July 1918 in Brewton, Escambia, Alabama. She died on 29 September 2004. She is buried in Springhill Metho...